Sunday, February 6, 2011

To Know God

"Often what we want to know most is where God wants us to go and what He wants us to do or even what he wants to do for us.  But God wants to know us!"

"David says in Psalm 119:10 "With all my heart I have sought You."  When you make knowing God your priority, He will reveal truths about Himself that will point to the path you should take, and when you take it, His blessings will follow"

"David's focus wasn't on his circumstances or what he expected God to do about them; it was on God Himself."

I found this devotional very encouraging and convicting.  All to often, I get caught up in the everyday things of life: what are we going to do today, what are we going to eat, where are we going to go.  Even the life things in general:  what are we going to be doing in 1 year, 5 years, etc; worry about my kids and other random things.  I find that my short quiet time each morning is just getting re-filled in order to accomplish those things.  I focus on what I need to do better, how I can be a better wife & mother.  This has motivated me to put away the self-help books and really dig deep and begin a journey of getting to know the Father again, who He is and the relationship He desires to have with me. 

"I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees.  With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.  I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches;  I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.  I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."
Psalm 119:10-16


*the items in quotes are from the Journey Devotional, Priscilla Shirer

No comments: